Including a load of Radeon Instinct Accelerators. AMD is doing the right thing … thanks AMD! We love you!
AMD is working diligently to navigate the uncertainty of COVID-19 and do our part to combat the pandemic. We moved quickly to implement best practices to mitigate the spread of the virus while maintaining business continuity for our customers, supporting our communities, and applying our technology and resources in the fight.
AMD maintains a robust global supply chain. We are currently supplying our high-performance computing and graphics products to customers with minimal disruption. We are closely monitoring global events for potential impact on either our manufacturing or partner facilities and adjusting as needed. We are continuously monitoring logistics and are well positioned to continue executing and partnering closely with our customers to meet their needs.
Protecting Our Global Workforce
Our highest priority remains the health and safety of our employees, communities and customers. We are following government and medical guidelines, and the vast majority of our global employees are currently working from home.
- We continue paying our hourly employees in full, whether or not they are able to perform their duties during this time.
- We are providing enhanced benefits to our employees for COVID-19 related testing and medical treatments, dependent care reimbursements and additional wellness resources.
- For the limited number of employees working on-site maintaining our critical business functions, we have implemented additional processes to protect their health and safety. These include health screenings and temperature checks at building entrances, strict social distancing procedures, and adjusting work shifts to reduce density.
As the situation evolves, we will continue to follow guidance on returning employees to work and implement recommended best practices to do so safely.
Providing AMD Technology to Support Medical Research
AMD is announcing today a COVID-19 HPC fund to provide research institutions with computing resources to accelerate medical research on COVID-19 and other diseases. The fund will include an initial donation of $15 million of high-performance systems powered by AMD EPYC™ CPUs and AMD Radeon™ Instinct GPUs to key research institutions. To ease the implementation and speed the useful impact from these donations, we are working with our HPC system provider partners to provide ready-to-install HPC nodes. Research institutions should contact AMD at COVID-19HPC@amd.com to submit proposals for access to these nodes.
I’m also proud that AMD last week joined the COVID-19 High Performance Computing Consortium. This is a unique private-public effort spearheaded by the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, the U.S. Department of Energy and IBM to bring together government, industry, and university leaders who are volunteering free compute time and resources on world-class supercomputers to help fight the global pandemic.
AMD is contributing technology and technical resources, including AMD Radeon™ Instinct MI50 accelerators and support resources for the “Corona” system at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. These resources nearly double the peak system performance, providing additional computing power for molecular modeling in support of COVID-19 research.
Researchers are invited to submit COVID-19-related research proposals to the consortium via this online portal. Proposals will be evaluated by the consortium for assignment to appropriate computing resources.
Supporting Our Global Communities
AMD is dedicated to helping our global communities during this challenging time.
- We are contributing more than $1 million to charities and foundations on the front lines of the fight, including the Chinese Red Cross Foundation, Médecins Sans Frontières (Doctors Without Borders) in Europe, Silicon Valley Community Foundation, and Austin Community Foundation in the United States as well as local organizations in our communities in Canada, India, Malaysia and Singapore.
- We secured and donated hundreds of thousands of masks to medical professionals.
- We are donating an additional $1 million through a 2:1 employee gift matching for specific organizations providing COVID-19 humanitarian relief efforts.
- For our medical customers, we are prioritizing and expediting product shipments including AMD embedded processors used in ventilators and respirators.
AMD remains focused on providing strong and unwavering support to our employees, customers and the communities around the world we call home. We look forward to continued partnership and shared resilience as we persevere and become a stronger global community.
Dr. Lisa Su
President and Chief Executive Officer