System Shock Remake is launching March 2023 in an update posted by Nightdive Studios on the Kickstarter page. The remake was announced back in 2015 and was given a release window of 2017. The developers failed to make the release window and went on hiatus after they admitted taken the wrong path.
After our return from Gamescom we’ve been hesitant to share anything so as not to spoil any remaining surprises we have in store. However, we’ve picked a few last things to share before our quickly approaching launch window of March, 2023.
As some of you have already pointed out this is not our first time announcing a tentative launch window, but over the past few years much has changed – the scope and scale of the project has evolved dramatically and with Prime Matter joining the project it’s enabled us to focus on quality-of-life improvements, bug fixing, and localization support – the last major steps towards releasing a game we’re all incredibly proud of. This has also given us time to go back and polish various aspects of the game that needed that extra shine.
Variants, Effects, and Features
- When accessing a locked area, you’ll now scan the appropriate card to gain entry.
- Citadel has gone through a bit of a makeover and is ready for her big finale.
- We’ve created some Enemy Variants to provide new challenges to the player in later levels.
- This new enemy type is a call-back to an original we initially omitted, but decided to include.
- Diego will be making numerous appearances throughout the game – here is a sneak peek at one such incarnation.
- Updated effects for the weapons, like the Plasma Rifle, provide a final level of polish.
As you know dismemberment has been a high priority for us and every enemy is receiving a completely custom dismemberment model – there are a lot of enemies and the amount of effort being spent on this is staggering.
System Shock will be released on PC via GOG, Steam and Epic Games Store. The game will also be coming to PS4, PS5, Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S
Source: Nightdive Studios (Kickstarter)